Recipe Notes: Shredded cabbage makes a delicious pad thai noodle substitute. With all the delicious garnishes (peanuts, coriander, lemon, sauce) you hardly notice its any difference and can eat a massive, filling plate.
Cook Time: 35 min
Pad Thai Sauce
- ⅓ cup fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp honey (to taste)
- ½ tbsp tamarindpaste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup snap peas, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 head of cabbage, core removed and sliced lengthways into noodles
6-8 ounces chicken thighs, diced
- Chopped peanuts
- Lemon slices
- Coriander leaves, loosely choped
- Fried onions, if you’re feeling extra indulgent
- To make pad thai sauce, heat a small pan on medium low and add fish sauce, honey, soy, tamarind, and garlic. Stir with a whisk and cook sauce until honey has completely dissolve. At this point, you will want to taste the sauce and tweek the sweetness or hotness (be careful, the sauce will be hot). To make it more spicy add a little chilli. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl, and use a fork to scramble them with the soy sauce. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons coconut oil to the skillet, and when it’s melted, pour in the eggs and let them spread like a pancake. Reduce the heat to medium and cover with a lid, letting the eggs cook until they’re set and beginning to brown on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and lightly brown the other side. Remove the eggs from the pan and cut into strips with a sharp knife.
- Using the same pan, increase heat to medium-high and add 1 teaspoon coconut oil to the pan. Sauté the onion, chicken and brown.
- Add snap peas, stirring with a wooden spoon, until they’re crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and 3 tbsp water and continually stir so cabbage cooks evenly and reduces in size.
- Add cooked egg to the pan and, stirring with a wooden spoon, cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Add the pad thai Sauce to the pan and stir-fry until everything is well-blended and hot.
- Divide among two plates, sprinkle with garnishes, and dig in.